Oct 5, 2011

Book Review: The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky



Synopsis from Goodreads

Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it, Charlie is navigating through the strange worlds of love, drugs, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", and dealing with the loss of a good friend and his favorite aunt.

Book Title: The perks of being a Wall Flower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
My Rating:

Book Review

the reason i read this book cause it's been hanging out in mt TBR for a very long time and I heard Logan Lerman will play the main character of the Movie adaptation of this book and i gave this one a try.

i really don't know what to expect from the book , i have this feeling that it was going to be about a loner boy who has no friends and has a miserable life cause the book won't be titled as "Perks of being a Wallflower" if it isn't about that. so the first couple of pages is like a letter from a guy named Charlie, and at the beginning he always write the words "Dear Friend" so the book is like filled with Journal entries from Charlie and it is the compiled events of his life. The first couple of pages of the book i was actually dead bored i have been contemplating with myself if I should stop and just skip reading this particular book, but as it turns out i did manage to finish it, and i was really shock with it's content cause it actually contains some Taboo stuff that i never thought that will be the subject or will be discussed in this book.
like many sex scenes,using pot and smoking, abortion, and third sex relationship. in a way the book is an eye opener for teens cause maybe by this book you will be able to  face the reality, like how much we avoid this kind of subject it's always happening around you.

The characters were always nice , I appreciate it  that the author gets to have a variety of characters, and i guess every reader gets to empathize with each of them, cause they all posses this distinct personality and also have this problems that each of every normal teen faces everyday. as for the main character,Charlie. I can describe him as a very observant boy, who just looks at things and be able to analyze and read his friends or people around him (I guess that's why the book is called Perks of being a Wallflower) and due to being observant and empathizing with his peers he gets to be this kind of friend that lies just so he gets to please his friends and make them happy. in a way i can relate to charlie the most not just because he is the main character of the story but because of his personality, I guess I am like him in a way that I treat my friends and the way I think about them.

Overall: a very inspiring book, I gave it three stars cause i was like bored in the couple of pages, i do recommend it for ages 16 and up. must be really open minded enable to appreciate this book. :D

as I've said Logan Lerman will play the role of Charlie and to be totally and completely honest I don't know how will he play Charlie, cause i have this picture of Logan Lerman as this sweet kid and very wholesome, an Playing Percy in the Lightning Thief. I can't Imagine this role for him. hope he'll deliver it well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart Comments! so thank you so much for stopping by... I'll try my best to reply to your comment or please just leave me the link to your blog so i can stop by your blog too. ^^

Lurve these blogs! ^^