Nov 1, 2011

Book Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Liani Taylor


Synopsis From Goodreads

Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


Book Title: Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone,#1)
Author: Liani Taylor
My Rating:

Book Review

Well this book is really interesting. This is my first book from Liani Taylor, so I really don't know what to expect from her. I have marked her one of her book in my TBR pile in Goodreads. But I chose to read this one cause it seems to make my GR friends very hyped up about the book. they keep on saying that the ending was a cliffhanger so i gave this one a shot.

My Thoughts?

i find the book really weird at first, with all the setting and the story line and the writing. The book is written in a very dark and lyrical way that's why it adds to the creepiness of the book. Karou (IDK how to pronounce her name i just go with KA-ROO) is selling teeth for her foster father, Brimstone, She goes to different places through a portal. The concept of Voodoo immediately popped out of my mind when i first read this book. I mean Karou and Brimstone are definitely up to something voodoo, i mean the teeth selling and everything it was all so weird, and for me the first part of the book was a blur to me. everything was so vague and it didn't tell much about anything. I kept on thinking on what this book is all about, was it about Vampires? Voodoo? Ghost? Magic? Witches?

Thank God the second part of the book is great, it opened to the concept of devils and angels and also wishes. The Romance aspect of the book is something that I really,really liked. Sure I have encountered a lot of forbidden romances but wow. an angel falls for a devil was something really new to me. JUST WOW! i really like Akiva and Madrigal's love story something very unique and refreshing to my eyes.
the reincarnation thingy is really nice too.

overall: The book is nice. Grab it if your a fan of the Blue Bloods Series (Like me) the story line is pretty much the same regarding the Devils and the Angels. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart Comments! so thank you so much for stopping by... I'll try my best to reply to your comment or please just leave me the link to your blog so i can stop by your blog too. ^^

Lurve these blogs! ^^