Apr 12, 2012

Book Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.


Book Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
My Rating:

BOOK REVIEW

I've never been to a circus. NEVER!i think in my country, Philippines I don't know if it's been in our culture to have circuses around, but i think our Local "Perya"/ "peryahan" comes pretty close to what a circus is, as described in the books and as seen in a television. But it never has this kind of elements such as fortune tellers and spell bounding acts in our local "Perya" or maybe I am just a weirdo and such a Homebody that maybe there is a "real" circus lurking in our area that I have no idea that it is there. But nevertheless my close encounter to such circus is the "Peryahan"

This would have to be my second book about circus, the first one is Water for Elephants and the main reason that I've read that book was because it was made into a movie starring Robert Pattinson (call me crazy fangirl) well in this book the main reason that I've read it was because I have seen a lot of reviews saying that it has many surprises and I just happen to love surprises I like it when there will be a part in a book that my mouth will just be hanging open and even though my eyes are sore from continuous reading I'll endure that pain just to read the entire book, and well the circus setting ain't that bad to read. kinda longing for that setting of a book cause it's been a while since I've read a circus related book.

well did the book lived up with the expectation?

I can't give you a definite answer. I mean the night circus IS great. a book that contains an old victorian- adult plot with magic and sorcery on the side. and it is promising but the book is soooooooooooooooo Darn long. and regardless of the number of pages the book is so descriptive that it took me a while to finish it and even conjure on what kind of book this is, cause you see the main plot of the book is about the duel between the protege of the two renowned magicians and the concept of the game is in either you WIN OR YOU DIE. well that is the plot alright. but as you read on there are many sub stories on the side that it is kinda hard to make out on what the book is about. and OH darn, I can honestly say that the book did bore me. I was contemplating on skipping it but then again there are twists in the story and I am looking forward to know on what is the twists in the story. but somehow the twist was nice and promising. not kinda expecting for it to be the outcome of the story.

4 stars for the book:

-the romance was nice. you can feel the intensity of the attraction between Celia and Marco. INTENSE ATTRACTION is an underrated word to describe their romance. OOHHH! trust me.

- Nice sorcery and magic. feels like I am reading Harry Potter (cause of the sorcery in it) and not mainly focused on the circus acts but it has some kinda sorcery in it.

- Nice set of Characters.

BUT...

don't read this one if you don't like long descriptive books that can bore you out. cause the downside of the book is I guess no pumping adrenaline in any page.

one piece of advice read this one on your own risks. not saying the book is entirely bad just very slow paced. but has Magic and surprises on the side that can make your mouth hang open. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart Comments! so thank you so much for stopping by... I'll try my best to reply to your comment or please just leave me the link to your blog so i can stop by your blog too. ^^

Lurve these blogs! ^^